View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Default Need help ID of three different Prewar cards or premiums...

Posted By: leon

Personally, I can't tell from the scan about the E135-like card. Out of the 50-60 Johnson Confection cards I have seen I have never seen one on an E135 front. That makes me think it probably isn't good, as Frank does. I still have a little trouble distinguishing the W575-1 vs the E121 blank backs stock....I sort of always thought those were W575's....I will have to get mine out tomorrow and check them. At any rate get a magnifying glass and check the white borders for a dot pattern. If there is one it's a reprint. Even if there is not you need to check a few other things. Personally, I haven't been able to do too good with fluorescence but I know it works on some substances/marks. Wouldn't hurt to see how it fluoresces. I also like to look at the gloss, though I have almost been faked out on that before. I believe uneven gloss would be difficult to fabricate so if it has that it could be real. Lastly the card should be smooth. I like to hold the card and feel the paper to see if it is. I won a nice #1 Fro Joy (portrait) on ebay last week for $26....got it yesterday and the gloss is uneven and the card is smooth as a baby's behind. It feels and looks real and doesn't have any dots in the white. My guess is about 98% or more of the Fro Joys on ebay are fake. This one isn't though...Good luck with these..