View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Default What About Putting A T206 Set Together Today?

Posted By: T206Collector

I put my set together from 1997 through 2005. Among the last cards I needed were two Cy Youngs (with and without glove) and Cobb Red Back. I held off on these until last because I find Cy Young extremely overrated and because the Cob Red Back is one of the most available T206 cards. Well, I grossly miscalculated on that score. By the time I got around to purchasing them, beaters were going for $200+ and the SGC 50 Red Cobb that I held off on getting when it was $700-$800, is now $1,500+. Had I to do it over again, I would try to be disciplined and focus on getting the HOFers first. Then I would move to Southern Leaguers and rare variations second. Then I would move to commons. One caveat -- if you can snag an O'Hara or Demmitt (or Magie for that matter) at a somewhat reasonable price, get it. With all the people soaking up T206 cards lately, the number of O'Haras and Demmitts to go around will shrink.

For every detail imaginable, the latest must read is Scot Reader's book on T206. It has the relative scarcities that you are seeking. Click below to download a free copy:

http://www.oldcardboard.com/t/t206/InsideT206-3-edition.pdf

And, of course, on this Board there are two or three threads about El Principe De Gales and the Piedmont Primacy Theory that are important reads, too, for the advanced collector of T206.