View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Default a little venting- shutting Ebay auctions down

Posted By: barrysloate

Josh- as far as the Rose balls being pulled from REA, that doesn't count because that auction isn't scheduled to begin until Spring of next year. They don't even have a catalog yet. And I do know lots are sometimes withdrawn, but it is unclear exactly why this is being done. It could be an authenticity question, a consignor complaining about something in the description, or whatever. It doesn't in any way suggest a private sale is being conducted by the auction house. There are many reasons why lots are withdrawn. And getting back to ebay, I understand they feel pulling the plug on an auction is an acceptable practice, so apparently it will keep happening. I actually emailed an ebay seller recently and told her not close her auction early, that despite the fact her lot was doing poorly it would certainly do well in the end. She replied she was bombarded by offers to close early, but said she had no plans to do so. Her final realized price was more than 50% higher than the best offer she received. Obviously, she was a smart seller.