View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Default Who can you compare Derek Jeter going back to 1869.

Posted By: Jay

I like Prewarsports analogy. I am a Yankee fan and probably watch at least 125 games a year so I have a pretty good feel for how Jeter plays. He is a good fielder who can make the difficult play but occasionally botch the easy one. He has good range, especially on bloops, and a pretty strong arm which is most noticeable on his jump throws when going deep into the hole on a backhand. As a hitter this is his finest season in a while if not his best ever. He doesn't have alot of power but he usually makes contact. He is an excellent base runner who steals more bases than you would expect based on his only slightly above average speed. His best quality is that he plays heads up ball and never takes a play off. I think that he is a shoe in HOFer. In my mind he is a much better all around ball player than Cal Ripken or Ozzie Smith, or most of the shortstops in the HOF for that matter. Combine that with his number of championships and you would expect him to easily make it on the first ballot.