View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Default Bonds exposed: Shadows details superstar slugger's steroid use

Posted By: jay behrens

Steroids have been around a long time. Even when I graduated in 1981, I knew that if I took steroids, I stood a better chance of being bigger and stronger and getting a college scholarship. I chose not to do it because it was anethema to the health kick I was on at the time. I'm sure the pressures today at the HS level are much greater than when I went to school. All you have to look is look at the kids today playing football and there is no doubt that steroids are heavily used in HS today. It was the rare kid that weighed in at 250 when I was a kid, and he was usually just fat. Today, you ahve HS teams sporting offensive and defensive linemen that would make college teams from the 70s look like a Pop Warner team. I lived in the Bay Area, got to watch and had a roommate that for the DeLasalle HS. That team could easily play at the college level with the size and talent they had. My roommate said steroids were regular part of training. If you didn't use, you most likely weren't going to make the team.

So I don't really buy that making steroids legit in pro sports will cause more kids to use them. The pressure is already there, and has been there since the 80s.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.