View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Default Survey/help with proving/disproving E121 Series of 80 theory

Posted By: brian p

Heck on a stick it has been a long time since I last posted, but finally have the time to share something that may be of some interest. Almost a year ago I came across a scrapbook full of E121 American Caramels, which I just recently finished soaking from the pages. Of the 122 cards (the cards had each border trimmed down, and there was plenty of writing on the front of each card--information provided to soothe the condition conscious collectors out there who were just thinking "how did I miss out on such a great deal?"), eighty were from the Series of 80 set, and a surprising 31% of these ended up being the rarer variation (first line on back ending with 'pictures of eighty').

I previously owned 2 of these variation cards, so I currently possess 27. An interesting pattern became apparent--these 27 cards were of players from only six teams: the New York Giants, Chicago Cubs, St. Louis Browns, New York Yankees, Chicago White Sox, and Cleveland Indians.

The information that I am requesting is if people could reply with what teams they have for this relatively rare Series of 80 back variation. My (perhaps foolishly unfounded) theory is that only certain teams were issued with this back, perhaps this being a 'test' release issued only in certain markets (notice that I have both New York and Chicago teams). If so, I would imagine that cards of the St. Louis Cardinals would be out there, and perhaps at least one other team.

It would be interesting to discover what else is out there with this variation, specifically what teams people have with this variation, and don't fret--I am perfectly willing to have my theory explode into tiny bits. Either post your results here, or email them.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Brian