View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Default Are Pre-War Baseball Cards "Solid" Investments?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Although it is true that the coin hobby was invaded by investors in the late 1980s, the hobby had been existing for over 200 years by that time. And while it is true that coins have less interactiveness associated with the "sport" of minting, there is an interesting history associated with the manufacture of those lil devils.

Come on now - what kid didn't enjoy putting a penny on the railroad tracks to see how the passing train would flatten it out? And the joy of being able to put a brass slug into a gumball machine, instead of the penny which you flattened out! What? thats not sport?

Well tell me then how you start a football game if there is no heads nor tails?

Seriously tho: I got a 1798 cent this week that I had been wanting for way longer than (almost) any baseball card - and I haven't put it away yet. When is the last time you kept a baseball card "out" for days? I even dragged the other five that go with it (a type set) to see how they look together.

Baseball cards, as Adam aptly points out, do bring several added dimensions to collecting that really can not be duplicated. That is why I collect them too.