View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Default Are Pre-War Baseball Cards "Solid" Investments?

Posted By: warshawlaw

It is collectors, not investors, driving this market. Take the folks we all know and (sometimes) love who have the mega bucks for cards. All of them are collectors first. They ENJOY this. That sort of spirit wasn't there with coins. The dynamic is different. The pride, the happiness, the little boy showing off his card collection, all that plays into this hobby like no other. Coins are dull. There are no funny stories from the dugout, no classic films to watch all winter, no gamer bat to hold or hat to try on and pretend for a moment, and no funny old man telling stories who used to be the Man. Your dad and you never tossed coins back and forth in the yard and you never drove a coin over the roof of the school or cut off a coin deep in the gap in left-center.

If card prices rolled back by a decade tomorrow, I know I would be in there eagerly filling holes in my collection that I would otherwise never have the chance to fill. I'd hazard a guess that most of the folks here would do the same. I just do not see the same speculative bubble forming here as in the coin biz. Sorry. Just my view of it.