View Single Post
Old 08-20-2006, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Default Are Pre-War Baseball Cards "Solid" Investments?

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I forgot to talk about rising and falling markets.

Someone who really knows his stuff told me that over the years, more than some on this board have been alive, that when the market goes down people move there money a bit into gold coins, collectables, and the like. When the stock market and economy booms, the collectables and gold coins are liquidated and the money goes into stocks a bit more.

I've not made a great study of that, but it seems correct with a limited examination.

So if we get out of Iraq and any other places we might find ourselves in the next couple of years, if Congress becomes less oil company friendly, if the economy does well... then the increase in baseball card prices should flatten a bit. I'm not saying they'll go down, it is just that the rise in "values" will slacken some.

In looking around the room I'm in I see piles of crap that I "collect". If this junk was "investments" I should be institutionalized. I have some investments... but the cards, coins, autographs, books, and ephemera gathering dust, none of it is really an investment.