View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Default A Troubling Hobby Developement

Posted By: FYS

Barry,

FYS = Mike Uhl. If you click on the FYS name in my posts, it will automatically open an e-mail window to mikeuhl@comast.net.

As a 26 year long collector, it does sadden me that many with first hand knowledge of the Wagner situation turn a blind eye. No, I am not talking about Barry. I think educra made a good point that as an individual or collector, there can be some resentment when some of the people that are admired (hero's if you will) in the hobby seem to do nothing. That is easy to say when you are on the outside of the equation. I am sure it would not be much fun to be the person that comes forth. The only publication that could pull off an investigative article, which cooperation from first hand observers, would be Old Cardboard, in my opinion. Tuff Stuff and SCD would not touch it due to lost advertising revenues. SGC and Beckett would not touch it due to the hypercompetitive onslaught that would take place afterwards.

In any case, I would like to see the truth published. I think it will force improved buyback programs, consistency, examination procedures and introduce some additional technology to the field of grading. It could also potentially begin the end or come clean to a chapter of the more shady side of the hobby.

Just at this years National, I was able examine a slabbed A&G NM/MT card that under 100X magnification, glue beads could be seen from the rebacking of the card. Higher magnification is just one additional technology that could become more common place, if some public event warranted this sort of additional help.