View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Honus Wagner-Piedmont

Posted By: DJ

Like a board member above, the more I thought about it, the angrier I got. It's hard to make a good honest living and this is truly, truly sad and shows poor judgement on the auctioneers part as he refuses to take any kind of action on this item. He obviously doesn't care about his reputation.

To get a fraudulent card passed an expert is rather difficult. You have to have it all right and every couple years, someone tries to pass a current repo by as I was the unsuspecting target of a purchase of twenty-five Eric Lindros reproductions by a Canadian shister traveling through. I wasn't aware of the blurry logo until weeks later. I wasn't aware of the "too good to be true" price, either.

It's not like we're dealing with autographs and the experts there. We have all talked about SCD* and their biggest advertiser, Coach's Corner who once again has ANOTHER Josh Gibson single signed baseball this month. LOA's from...not James Spence...not Global...not PSA/DNA or even Richard Simon, but STAT Authentication! Almost all the cards they sell come slabbed by something called GEM. Wasn't Gem a female cartoon hero in the early 1980's?

Imagine how many people would be selling Wagner's if they were as easy to create as signatures? If there was a super computer that could trick even the most astute experts? It had it down to perfection...card stock, age, clarity, forced and trickable wear. The hobby would forever be doomed as the people all over the country would be showing off their Honus Wagner's on their Data Entry salaries.

DJ

* SCD- Sports Collectors Digest, for those of you that don't know, it was once an important hobby magazine but it has alienated it's readership as it loves orange bald men and is now the size of a Lindsey Lohan's street sign frame.