View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Default The 2006 National

Posted By: David McDonald

Just returned home to Honolulu from Anaheim. It was my first National so I can't compare it to others. Maybe with more experience in the hobby I might be more critical but I spent two days roaming around the Convention Center and I had a hell of a great time. First off, the place was about the size of Rhode Island and there were tables as far as you could see. Sure, you had to wade through a lot of disdainful ersatz memorabilia and, sure, everything was probably overpriced (and, sure, the skies over Anaheim were a weird carcinogenic grey and the whole area is sort-of psychosis inducing), but there were still more vintage cards than I'd ever seen by a factor of, say, a million. The auction houses, in particular, had stuff that was stunningly beautiful, all your high-end Jacksons and Cobbs and Ruths, cards I'll never see again outside of a catalogue. What a treat! If your goal at a card show is to find esoteric, niche cards, maybe this National would come up short. If you're a wide-eyed newbie like me, it was big fun to pinball from one tableful of old cards to another.
It was also big fun to meet so many folks that prior to Friday were for me only "virtual" people. Wow, you guys are really real! Pleasure to talk story with Max W. and Super Jennifer, Trevor Hocking, Ryan Christoff, Jack Goodman, Bill Cornell, Adam Warshaw, David Bryan, Hardeman and Son (God Bless you guys and your great magazine), Rockin' Leon Luckey. A knowledgeable and congenial bunch and sterling people all. And it was nice to be around people who ask me what I collect, not why. Anyway, biggest problem I had at the National was to stop motoring my mouth (my wife calls me "a man of few words" but I think she's being sarcastic) long enough to look at cards. There was a lot of territory to cover and two days wasn't near enough time. (I thought it was plain dumb to close the show at 6pm, especially on Friday). Paying for stuff was another problem. While some venders accepted VISA and even Paypal, most only would take cash or checks. Wished I had my checkbook because the ATM limited withdrawals to $400 a day and that didn't cut it. I was hoping primarily to find T3's but they were in short supply so did some impulsive shopping instead. Under the watchful eye of Mr. Warshaw I picked up a beautiful T227 Honest Long Cut boxer, Adolph Wolgast. Bought a Toleteros Moose Skowron (Yay!) from Ryan Christoff (Paypal bucks on the way; Thanks, brah). Found a cherry Joe Wood Sporting News supplement buried under a pile of stuff. Due to aforesaid lack of cash finances I will receive a couple more things in the mail once I pay for them, including a 1923 Paulins Candy card of hockey great, Newsy Lalonde. Will post everything in due course.
Also got a bunch of cards graded on site by both SGC and PSA. That was a very instructive experience, kind of like comparing having dinner at a great restaurant and at the Jack-in-the-Box Drive-thru. A special note of appreciation to the SGC crew: I needed to cross some D304's from PSA to SGC and my PSA2 Wagner came back as SGC20/1.5. Oh well, I thought, **** happens, they have a reputation for being right so tough break. But not ten yards away at the Lelands booth was another SGC20 D304 Wagner which was heavily creased. Side by side mine was way better looking, but same grade. I went back to SGC, grader said my card was borderline 20/30 and he had gone with the 20. Long story short. They cracked the card out and bumped it up to 30. I love these guys.
Another National in my future? Honolulu is a long way from anywhere and even further from Cleveland. Still I hope to go to another National someday. Next time I will plan to stay for the whole show and I will bring my checkbook. I will also do some homework and review my Goudey and Topps sets for cards that I'd like to upgrade so I can be more focused and less impulsive in my card hunting. Mostly I will look forward to re-aquainting with all you collectors.

Mastro Booth

A few consigned Mastro goodies

'61 Yankees: not a card, not vintage, but I liked it

Ryan Christoff: In spite of his deathglare Cuban avatar, Ryan is a true gent.

Smokey Jen Ettinger and Cool Papa Weder: Jennifer should be cloned (there is no higher compliment). Max is from Saskatoon. How cool is that!

Wonder what the Wagner Gretsky would be worth.

The Ultra-Rare '52 Topps Mantle

The Katella Deli Pastrami Reuben Find. Washed down with a killer vanilla malt. Might not be kosher but it was AWESOME !! Guy next to me at the counter asked if I was going to the Chair.