View Single Post
Old 07-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Default W517 unnumbered variations- So now there are two?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Jeff: I too do not know that there were applications for the w517 set other than Champion Draw. I believe that I deliberately preceeded all of my statements with the characterization that they are solely my personal conjecture.

I am otherwise at a loss to explain why strips would be manufactured with the players in different positions on each strip. That is, other than different printers, plate sets and likely different applications, or perhaps solely different geographical markets. But until a complete Champion Draw boxed set turns up with a card layout different from yours, it is all supposition.

And as far as individually issued cards. I solely indicated that some evidence exists. I do point out the difference between evidence and proof.

Here is one for you Jeff: Do you note that green cards are often shorter than their sepia counterparts? (That would be dash line to dash line) If you find this to be true, let me know and I will tell you why. If you do not find this true, then there is no need. - No. - I will tell you anyway - then if Im wrong: oh well, it will be the fourth time (that time in '61 don't count).

The green strips sometimes need the space for the STRIKE OUT or other notations on the card strip. Sepia strips never contain this notation.

I don't know that the preceeding is true, but it is reported by two independent collectors. Can you verify?

A very interesting set, one of my favorites. I wish I knew something useful about it.