View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Default What is it, exactly, about grading?

Posted By: Joann

Reasons I like grading:

I do think it gives a little extra confidence for purchases such as ebay or other internet buys where I am not familiar with the seller. But that's only for sellers I don't know. I would not hesitate to buy an ungraded card from just about anyone on this board.

I think it at least takes away some of the personal feeling of differing on a grade - I've bought a few on ebay that were advertised as VG, but had writing on the back. Sigh. Not worth pursuing, and I just make a mental note about that seller.

SGC slabs can definitely add to the presentation.

Reasons I don't like grading, and generally have a preference for raw:

I do like to be able to hold the cards. When I got my first Old Judge not too long ago, I remember how surprised I was at how thick the cardboard was. Yeah, I read it was on cardboard. Thick cardboard. Totally different to hold it in your hand and actually realize it though.

Same for first time I got an E103 or E95. I would never have had any real understanding of how fragile these are if I had bought graded. Yeah, I read they are on thin paper stock. Totally different to really appreciate that by being able to handle them directly.

I like that I can see the surface directly - the colors are better, no glare, just pure and raw surface. You can't get that look through plastic. I keep mine in toploaders. Yes it is different than slabs - I can easily take them out of toploaders and put them back. Not so with slabs.

Interestingly though ... my mom had surgery Saturday. I brought my cards into the waiting area to show them to my dad and siblings - they have not seen all of them at one place. The ones I go to look at are the raw. But invariably, they all went for the graded cards, particularly the SGC and GAI black slabs. Must be something about the appearance that makes them seem more attractive, or weightier, or whatever. I don't think one person picked up one raw card, even though most of mine are not graded. Don't know why, but I found that interesting.

Joann