View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Default What is it, exactly, about grading?

Posted By: Mike Campbell

For some reason, I seem to be an exception. I have had hundreds of cards graded over the years. All have come back timely, and all have been graded fairly. If I submitted an honest 3 or 4, and it came back graded a 7 or 8, would it please me? Of course not. The whole system would be rotten if that were the case. I can honestly say I have never been disappointed with a grade. Do they make mistakes, and do they make some silly ones? Yes. We have all seen many examples on here. I submitted three "very" rare cards, which they had never graded before. Or handled. Should they have gotten the year right? Of course. They put the wrong year on top. I resubmitted them, and had them back within a very reasonable time period. Ten days or so. And had the correct year on top. And they corrected their population report, to reflect the change. Immediately.

I have no problem with slabbed cards. All the obvious reasons why, have already been stated. I can always free them if I so choose. I have ruined a number of things over the years, by handling them. All very stupid on my part. I choose not to do that with any of my cards. A nationally known dealer, who I have done business with for years, was trying to free a Mantle rookie for resubmission. The box cutter that he was using to pry the slab open, went into the card. And split it in two. So freeing them has it's dangers as well. I will be boiled in oil for saying this in here, but I like the grading services. In spite of their sometimes silly mistakes they make. Never had a major problem.