View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Default Nonexistent Vintage Cards still Listed in the Hobby

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

David S.

The June 2001 issue of VCBC, has a 4-page article on the Goodwin Champions (N162)
set that I wrote; and, in it I question the existence of the Dunlap (Detroit) card. And,
I asked if anyone in the reading public can confirm this card ? I did receive several
responses.....all from serious N162 collectors, and absolutely no one has ever seen
this card.

I am sure I have had over 200 - N162 cards over the years in the constant process
of upgrading my set. And, at least 7 Dunlaps (one a color error) and after doing a
good amount of research for the above noted article, I have come to this conclusion.....

1st....This set is catalogued as an 1888 issue, I believe it is really an 1889 issue. Dunlap
was traded to Pittsburgh in 1888 and became their team Captain. Also, Beecher (FB)
was in the Yale Class of '88 and Sears (Tennis) was the National Champ that year.

2nd.....The "myth" of a Detroit card of Dunlap stems from the fact that he played
a full season with them in 1887 and I suppose (being an "1888" set) someone must
of assumed there had to be a Detroit version of Dunlap. Anyhow, that's my guess.

David....incidently, I have the A36 Album of this set and on the front cover it is
neatly inscribed in ink with a 1889 date.