View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Default Monster Representation

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

The above posts are on track. Add a southern league player in there for certain.

One thing I used to have fun with about 15 years ago was trying to anticipate and by cards of Hall of Famers BEFORE they got in... Davis was a good example, I bought his card about 3 months before he was selected. There were others. Toward that end I'd suggest buying the Ed Reulbach card from the 150 series that has Cubs on the front and his glove showing. It's a great card, and may well be a bit underpriced. He is a marginal for the hall of fame. But since Kirby P and Gary C got in, Ed Reulbach should easily get in... he is much more deserving that those 2.

I'd suggest getting the Kling portrait card. It is a bit more difficult to locate than the guides and market prices would suggest, in my opinion.

A variety of backs would be nice, different series and different brands. I'd suggest at least one American Beauty card. They are about 1/16th of an inch narrower, because the cigarette packages they came in were narrower, because the cigarettes themselves were more slender. After you look at a bunch of T206 fronts, one after another, you get to a point where you can point out American Beauty cards without flipping them over.

If you start this, you won't be able to stop at 10 cards... 'tis addicting.

Frank.