View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Default I am convinced / brainwashed - grading brings more $$$

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Gil is right and Joe is right: I don't want my cards slabbed either but when you're talking big numbers on a purchase, better safe than sorry is the way to go. As an aside, last night I met a fellow who had a poster of the T206 collection on his wall; I asked if he was a collector and he proceeded to tell me that he had the entire Monster (save Plank and Wagner) in very high graded, but raw, condition. He bought that sent 25 years ago and paid a tiny fraction of the cost the cards are worth today. He also has a complete T205, 33 Goudey and a zillion other sets. He told me that he never wants his cards in slabs because he, too, likes them in binders (MJ Roop he said) for review. He told me that he took one of his T206 cards to be graded by PSA and it came back a 7 (Cobb, red back). He said he thought it was an 8 or higher and was disappointed. His entire set is of that level...and I will beg and plead to see it someday. So, while there is no doubt that grading gets you more cash upon resale, there are many guys out there that never plan on reselling - and will never get their cards graded.