View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Default A card collector's mortality- slightly OT

Posted By: Bob

I had an interesting and sobering experience last night when my 5 year old grandson got his first peek in to grandpa's safe and the many cards slabbed and stacked therein. I showed him some (although he was much more fascinated with the 1909 Domino Disc metal set)and his eyes got as big as pie plates. I told him that some day these would all be his (or at least 1/2 depending on whether his older sister cared enough about money or cards to be interested) when he asked how old he would then be. I told him, "oh, when you are about 30." He turned to me and with that solemn and innocent look on his face, said, "Gee Paw-paw, you'll be dead then." Wow. I guess I would be 81 if I make it that long but suddenly my own mortality and the sudden apprehension that I might not indeed be around to see my grandson hit 30 was very sobering and more than a little depressing. It kinds of brings things in to perspective, doesn't it? Sorry for the "downer" thread but it's been a slow day, card and otherwise. I have resolved to make that last 25 years of life as packed full of adventure and wonderment as I can make it. I guess one reason for this post is that I was amazed at the other thread on here which indicated so many others like Steve, Ted, Max, Barry, Jay, etc. are about my age and I wondered if their reaction would have been similar to mine.
Well, I'm doing my best to cheer up and trying to resolve to make each and every day worthwhile. A noble effort and one which is surely beyond reach but, "a man's reach should exceed his grasp or what's a heaven for," as someone once said. (Browning?)