View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Default T206 card with possible non-T206 ghost print

Posted By: Jamie Hull

Hi all.
I recently picked up this piece of T206 printer’s scrap. It’s got the usual rough hand cut. The Russ Ford front is normal, but the back of the card is quite interesting. It’s got a Tolstoi ad, but double-struck. It’s also got a pink ink layer from another printing, which is off-center both left to right and top to bottom. The result’s kind of a window pane look.

When I turned the back upside down, I noticed a very clear ghost portrait in the lower left pane. I’ve looked and looked, but haven’t been able to identify him (the white blob on his forehead is a spot of paper loss and not part of the image). Does he look familiar to anybody?

I’m starting to suspect that it might be a non-T206 image, something perhaps from one of the other series of cigarette card inserts produced for the ATC – like the Tolstoi military cards. Two distinctive things about the image are the neck and collar area, which doesn’t look like part of a baseball uniform, and the shamrock-like symbol on his shoulder. Anybody know of any T206 scrap with non-T206 stuff on it?

Jamie

Edit: revised title to be more specific