View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Default Registration Fee

Posted By: Joann

I don't get the Mastro Premier catalog - haven't yet anyway. But if the REA catalog sitting on my counter is any indication, I would say that $75 as a one time fee is beyond fair. Wow. And now that finals are over I can finally sit down with the REA catalog and leisurely go through it. Can't wait.

I also think that the $75 has a perfect secondary function of keeping away the teens and other recreational bidders. It doesn't and never will affect me, but if I have a 6 digits worth of consignments in an auction I would definitely be worried about some 16 year old showing off with his buddies as being the high bidder. (Zack - you know I'm talking about the vast population of teenagers that are not advanced and serious collectors!)

I also like the "just bid and you stay on the list". It acknowledges the uniqueness of auctions in that you can be very valuable to the house even if you never spend a penny - because ALL bids drive prices. So you help their business even if you don't give them a dime.

Joann