Thread: Set Registry
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default Set Registry

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I see where t206 Monsta is assailed for simply taking Lee's initial post nearly verbatim and turning it around to ask the question in reverse. He's then called pompous, arrogant, and casting aspersions, as well as aligned with a banished poster. When I see these types of response, I can certainly understand why lurkers and website "passersby" are reluctant to contribute to this board. And don't tell me it's because he didn't post his last name. Such is preferred and required when topics are controversial, but all he did was take essentially the exact same language and throw it back at Lee. It was pointed out in the very first response to this thread that the post could be construed as condescending. Dish it out, expect some back.

Why would someone prefer the higher grade stuff? I think it's a commonly encountered practice by those who like antiques or the old in general. Would you prefer to look at or own the dented, rusted non-working 1932 Packard that still collects cobwebs in Uncle Frank's barn or one that is shown at Barrett-Jackson? Would your wife prefer to display chipped, discolored and pitted depression glassware, no doubt loved and full of history, or a pristine set of Miss America? Wanna show off your warped, scratched and unplayable Elvis records in their torn, taped and written-on jackets or the ones that were never played and looked like they were pressed yesterday? Why can't cards be viewed the same way?

As for the registry, I don't really get off on the competition element either, but that isn't the only reason people participate. Hey, different strokes.