View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Default ROBERT EDWARD AUCTIONS...Has anyone ever seen one of these before????

Posted By: Richard Simon

It appeared to me from the description in the catalog, that the hunt for this card had turned this collector into an obsessive compulsive individual.
I quote from the catalog:
"he began a dedicated mission to check all 1952 Topps Frank Campos cards to find a "Black Star" variation. Undeterred by countless failures, for years he checked every #307 Frank Campos possible at every opportunity, including conventions, advertisements, dealer inventories, and eBay. Requiring superhuman persistence, he remained confident that because the card is so rare that virtually no one even knows of its existence, this would allow him the opportunity to eventually find one. Years of searching 1952 Topps cards, checking literally thousands of examples at shows and conventions across the country, finally resulted in "hitting paydirt." He was not planning on stopping until he finally found an example."
Collecting is one thing, serious collecting is fine, I am a serious collector too, and I too enjoy a great find. I have no wall space in my living room or bedroom because much of my collection has been framed for display.
This was not hunting to complete a card set, to complete a collection of Hall of Fame autographs, to complete a team set of cards or autographs, this was a hunt to find one fluke card, and this man had devoted years of his life to the search.
I just felt this guy was way over the normal line for collectors.
Apparently some on this board disagree with me.
--

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss