View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Default The problem with reading and posting here-will the person identify himself?

Posted By: Bob

I think Paul Moss is right on the money in his post and I agree with it completely. I also believe Adam is correct with his views but I don't believe anyone can find out which cards you are "watching" on ebay unless you place a bid on it. Isn't this correct?
I guess the whole point on my thread was the hypocrisy I saw (if what I was told is true) in someone questioning other collectors' scruples while doing the very same thing when no one was looking. Frankly I don't care, if a guy wants to try and end an auction early or not, just have the guts to defend your position (as several here have) and not castigate and demean others for doing the exact thing you did. When collector B finds out collector A ends an auction early and then emails the seller and threatens him with expulsion from ebay for his act, don't 2 years later turn around and do the very same thing. Also, don't post on the board that you believe asking sellers to end auctions early is tantamount to lack of character and then 6 months later do the exact same thing.
I don't care which camp anyone is in, just don't be a hypocrite about it.
Also to answer Adam's rhetorical question about why wouldn't you bid $400 on a $500 card to protect yourself: 1) there are collectors out there who would see my (or others) ebay name bidding on a card and figure I was on to something and the next time I looked the bid would have gone from $35 to $405. It's happened many times before; and 2) I have been told many times that my "tbob" bidding list is marked and watched by different collectors. On the 150 Series Obak cards, I'll be quite honest, I knew if I entered a bid on any one of the cards, I would have a swarm of PCL collectors spot my name and be bidding. So I, like Joshua, Frank and others, had the sniper set. In retrospect I see exactly what Paul was talking about, that the seller panicked when NRMT rare cards were going for $35 each and sold them. Curiously he sold only the best ones and left the few others remaining on ebay and they were sold for below average values simply (in my mind) because with so many of them being pulled from ebay, buyers didn't know any were still left.
I'll be interested to see when the Obaks hit ebay, either graded this time or raw. Frankly I have a feeling the 150 series cards and the Bishops will settle in to someone's collection, at least until the heat blows over.