View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Default 17 new Hall of Famers!

Posted By: identify7

I can understand rookie card collectors not accepting pre-rookie cards because the player was not yet a MLB rookie.

I can understand some people thinking that Negro Leaguers should not be in the HOF because they were not MLB players.

The same could apply to umpires, owners, managers, Japanese Leaguers, Cuban Leaguers, etc.

Evidence exists (Suzuki, Aaron, others) that Major League Baseball did and probably still does not have a talent monopoly in baseball.

I agree that Maranville and Ruth are HOFers who bring different levels of talent to the baseball table.

But the HOF is a tribute. Bestowed on those deserving, and withheld for reasons deemed valid. In recognition of those worthy of tribute some has been granted. More needs to be.

I wish that the HOF was something other than it is. But it is not. There aren’t degrees of greatness, categories of recipients, nor fixed criteria for assessment of value. And there are errors, politics and judgements.

The Hall of Fame; love it or leave it. I have chosen to leave it. I have no more regard for their choices and rationale than I do for grading companies who impose their evaluation criteria on our hobby.

Somehow to my thinking tho, there are greater omissions outstanding than the enshrinement of Minoso.