View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Default 17 new Hall of Famers!

Posted By: James Feagin

From the HOF website:

"The research resulted in a raw narrative and bibliography of nearly 800 pages and a statistical database, which includes 3,000 day-by-day records, league leaders and all-time leaders. The research was culled from box scores from 128 newspapers of sanctioned league games played from 1920-54.

With the research now complete, the study includes sanctioned league game box scores from almost 100% of games played in the 1920s, in excess of 90% of the box scores from games played in the 1930s and box scores from 50-70% of games played in the 1940s and 50s, during which time the various leagues began to disband and newspapers ceased to report game information. The end result is the most comprehensive compilation of statistics on the Negro leagues that have ever been accumulated."

I suppose the nominations and inductions of the 17 were based on these newly compiled statistics? If they weren't, when will these stats be released so that we can judge for ourselves if they are "Hall" worthy? I never have had a problem with the caliber of player that the Negro Leaguers were, but legends spin legends which spin legends. Will these statisics actually quantify how many HR's Josh Gibson hit, the Wins and SO's of Paige, and how many SB's Cool Papa Bell had. I hope the committee had some facts to back these inductions up, and not some myths or legends of how great these players were purported to be. Otherwise, it will look like Hall of Fame affirmative action (Frankie Frisch where are you) if it comes out that some of these players were just good, and not great.

Jim

Jim