View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Default 17 new Hall of Famers!

Posted By: jay behrens

My understading is that the committee was a one time deal. I don't think we will see any more Negro Leaguers inducted unless it is thru the VC. Minoso and O'Niel may eventually get in thru the VC, but I doubt seriously we will see anyone else from NLs inducted any time in the near future, if ever again.

Frank, I know Carter wasn't a popular choice, but who was a better catcher in the 80s? I would much rather have had him then Fisk, Parrish or Boone as their prime days as a catcher were already past them by then.

As for Puckett, he got for a number of reasons. He his numbers weren't spectacular, but they were respectable. He was a great ambassador for the game while he played. The thing clinched him for it was the 1991 WS and his "climb my back and I'll carry you guys" statement and then lived up to it. Being a media darling helps a lot. He's not the perfect hoice, but he is more than worthy. Now if you want to talk about Ross Youngs, Marranville and other questionable players from the 30s, then you've got a better argument for unworthy choices.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.