View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Default Should I stop making sets and become a HOF collector?

Posted By: Geoff Litwack

Thanks to everyone for their perspectives. I definitely want to have my cake and eat it, so I'm going to have to figure out how best to do that. Right now I'm leaning toward selling many commons but keeping the ones in the T207 set I've been working on (94/200, sheesh) and going after some of those marquee cards I've always wanted. I don't own a single caramel card, for example, and I'd like to perhaps get my first Old Judge or George C. Miller. I don't think I'm going to go after EVERY HOF (although what an awsome undertaking!), nor am I too concerned about players on the bubble who should or shouldn't be in.

Jay: I hear you about the flavor of the commons. One thought that's stuck in my head is how beautiful some of the Obak common players are, for example (Mohler SF!). Here's a common strip card that's one of my favorites:

James: I'm definitely on a budget and trying to resist bringing in too much "new money" into my little hobby sandbox.

King: I agree with you that the low supply decreases the demand - I doubt I would have attempted the set if I wasn't so naive about the difficulty of finishing the last 10%. Also, I have you to thank for the best card in my set!

Adam: You're right about rare commons - so much of the PRICE is determined by a few rich guys slugging it out at a given historical moment. Not that there's anything wrong with rich guys.