View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Default Is it unreasonable to conclude that relatively rare cards are held by collectors

Posted By: Martin Neal

I know I have been lucky, But I wanted to share some of my finds with the board. My original find was back in 1988 when a man came into my video store with a box of old cards. I didn't know what they were, small and beat up, but was I enthralled with the look of them. It was a cache of t206s including a Cobb, Johnson, Lajoies, several no B's, a Willis grey background, a Shappe, and a Wagner. The Wagner was a card I had sort of heard about so I bought the 136 t206s for a hundred dollars. Unfortunately, I found out the Wagner was Heinie. Dad gone it !!! That started me on this long journey.
The last two significant finds were this year. Last summer I met a man who sold me about 80 t206s and t205s. I met him on Ebay when he was trying to sell a Cobb on ebay. It didn't sell mainly because he had no feedback and his scans were horrible. Since he lived close to me (Richmond, Va.), i emailed him to see if I could look at it. He then told me a story I couldn't believe. He said that he had been cleaning out his uncle's house with a couple of other family members and he noticed some cards that had been thrown in the trashcan. He asked his uncle if he could have them. His uncle said that they were his grandfathers and take them. Consequently, I met him halfway to Richmond and he gets out of his car and pulss this wad of cards out of his pocket and before he can take off the rubber bands I grab them and gently remove the bands. The first card has a Carolina Brights Back and I started shaking. I made a great deal on the cards and have since had most of them graded. I think I may have lost a few grades in the last couple of minutes the gentleman had the cards. Anyway, I did get a psa 3 t206 bat off Cobb, psa 5 Young Glove shows, and a bunch of great t205s inclung a psa 5 speaker, psa 6 wheat and about 20 other t205s grading 5.
The best find was back in November and it came off of EBAY. I found an auction where the seller had mislisted the title. He did not know what the cards were. All you could see were about 7 cards of a pile of t205s laid out on a table. I won the auction and when the cards arrived, there were 3 Bresnahans open mouth of which two have since graded psa 5s, a psa 2 Cobb, Suggs, Sweeney, a psa 5 Dahlen, a psa 3 joss, 3 commons that graded 6s The most unbelievable cards were an Hoblitzell no stats that graded a 4 and a Wallace one line which graded a 5. It was right before Christmas and at 51 years old I believe in Christmas again.
I would love to post them here but have given up in frustration.
This find may have some effect on prices of the ultra rare t205s but I don't think it will.

Martin

I finally had to ask the guy where he got got the t205s (curiousity was killing me) I emailed him and told him how much I love the cards and if he didn't mind, where did he get them. I didn't tell him what they were worth as that would be just wrong. Anyway, he said his son had goy them from an octogenarian in New Jersey. He listed them with $9.99 start