View Single Post
Old 01-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Default Is this questionable behavior by an auctioneer?

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I'm not trying to defend anyone here but here's something to think about.

I watch a lot of 19th century stuff in auctions (auction houses and ebay). Recently I've saw a few really odd transactions. Here's one:

A card won from a reputable auction house that was purchased for over $2K (with juice) was put up for sale on ebay. I watched that same card sell on ebay for about $1,400 less (that's right, $1,400 less) than what it sold for in the auction house only a month before.

It's all timing and sometimes you'll just be eaten alive and lose your shorts if the timing is bad. Who knows, maybe this card might not even sell for what it did in Lelands.

Yes, I also understand that one of the questions here has to do with an agent or employee of the auction house doing the business part of the auction on ebay. Although it seems strange this person stands a chance of not breaking even from the auction house realized price. If he does break even or do better then great but if he doesn't then there's one person that might not enlist that persons assistance for future auction advice.