View Single Post
Old 01-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Default Website question

Posted By: davidcycleback

You can get your own website with more than enough space through most major internet servers, and it's not terribly expensive. My site is based through earthlink.net, which is also my email server. If you plan on having your own site longterm, you are going to want to get a site through a major server just so you have enough space. Though major servers like earthlink you can get more space than you will ever need-- having tons of big pictures will be no problem.

For your own non-geocities site, you will have to learn how to make pages and upload and stuff. Adobe Pagemill is a good program for designing pages, linking them together, adding links, background colors, adding images and stuff, and is used by beginners. You can get the Pagemill cd on ebay for cheap, though you want to make sure you get the guide book with it.

You may wish to use geocities for a short while at least, just so you can practice doing html and seeing what looks nice. If you later start your own site somewhere else, you can place a link on the geocities to your new site. For a first timer, it would probably would be maddingly overwelming to try and create a MastroNet-quality site right away. I say fooling around on geocities is a good way to start, even if you plan on someday having the next MastroNet.

I couldn't access your site, but as far as load time and limited access goes, you may be using images too large. Make them smaller in size, and you will likely have fewer troubles with access and loading.

A common mistake of new web page makers is to use montorously large images-- especially on the main page. If it takes 10 minutes for the main page to load, the average visitor isn't going to wait for the main page to load.