View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Default New here, does this look real?

Posted By: Joann

I agree with not buying a lot of reprints for comparison purposes, but still am often tempted to do so. But economically it doesn't make sense. Neil - do an ebay search under seller name 'carbs'. He sells many different kinds of reprints (as reprints). He usually gets around $5 or $10 apiece for them. You can get lower grade commons for some of the main sets for $20 or a little less, so for the extra few bucks I'd rather have a real card.

I do keep a file of scans of reprints, fakes, etc for visual comparison and frequently check carbs auctions to see if there are any new types listed that I don't have in my file. His scans are clear and usually include both front and back of the card.

Leon is right. If you read this board enough, and click through enough pictures and ebay auctions, you can get a feel for it - at least enough of a feel to spend $20 or so to get a real one. I've never held a T206 reprint, but am confident that if I ever got one I'd be able to tell by difference in feel from my real ones.

Now we just have to figure out how this would work when every card out there is in a slab! Yes, I know that the authenticity question would be addressed by the fact that it is slabbed, but some of the opportunity to learn by feel, seeing small surface features, etc would be lost. But that's a whole 'nuther thread.

Joann

Edited to sound slightly less moronic. hee.