View Single Post
Old 01-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Default Can You guess this Family friend

Posted By: Jerry

He lived in a Modest Home with His wife of many years by the Houston Ship channel. My stepfather and him worked together for Lykes Bros steamship Co. I remember on the Walls of his home was many photos. One that stands out in my mind was a 1926 Indians Panorama with Speaker in the Middle as the manager of course. He came up with Connie mack's A's in 1920. i think he led the Southern League or pacific Coast league in Hitting in 1920. He played for the Indians for most of his career spliting catching duties with Luke Sewell. His wife had a huge scrap book with all kinds of neat stuff in it about Ruth, Glen and the like, I wish i had that now. He hated Cobb with a passion, he loved Speaker and they had many personal Photos of Glen and Speaker on Deer and various Hunting trips together. I visited his wife in the 1980's and reminised some, she has since died. She had worked at the Astrodome for over 30 yrs and had every Astros freebie ever given out at the dome. That would be some good ebay fodder now. I was pretty Young when I knew him but being a Catcher myself and an All Star if I may brag on myself. he took a liking to me and always went out of his way to incourage me. he had some falling out with Walter johnson when Johnson managed I think the Indians for a short time and was suspended from the team for awhile. It was a great experience for me.
Hope I didn't bore you
Jerrry