View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Default Post War Vintage....1949 Leaf Paige

Posted By: JimB

The '52 Topps Mantle has become iconic. It is known outside the baseball card collecting world and is second probably only to the T206 Wagner in that respect. Whether or not it deserves such status is another question. I personally would love to have a '49 Leaf Paige (though I like the Bowman card more), but the Leaf's are rather simplistic and rough looking, espeically when compared with the '52 Topps set. And the Mantle card is truly a beautiful card. We all know rarity is only one factor in the value of a card. If I preferred the Paige over the Mantle, I would be happy that it was a relative bargin for the spectacular card that it is. All this said, of the Paige cards I am aware of, I like the '53 Topps the best. And for the record, I have a '49 Bowman in my collection.
JimB

Edited to add:
I am not putting down the Leaf set. I personally love its simplicity. And some of the cards, like the DiMaggio and Williams are spectacular. But I think its simplicity keeps it , as a set from gaining the stature of '52 Topps. And the cards in it follow.