View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Default Cuban "Polar" Cards

Posted By: Mike Campbell

Paul: You're not bugging me. No problem. I had shown this card to photo folks, printing folks. From the State Historical Society. I then took it to a second party paper conservator. An independent Corporation. I had planned on taking it a step further, and have the glue on the back tested, and the paper mulch tested. I was told that this would damage the card, due to the fact that it would be necessary to remove a bit of paper. I decided against it. My thinking at the time was, that I could purchase a lessor player and sacrifice that card to the forensic folks. But at about this time, I received I believe it was three e mails from forum folks, (Not all the same week) over the course of time, questioning my knowledge of pre war items, (Not sure why I received this one, no one ever claimed this was pre war) questioning my intelligence, and another wondering why I was wasting my time. Nice huh? Anyway, figured why should I travel to another state, spend more money, when it seems that most had already made up their minds. I am told by the way, from a gentleman I came across in New Hampshire I believe, can't recall right now, that one of the nations leading experts on dating paper, and paper process, lives only 300 miles from me. I had planned on going to see her, but then figured, whats the point. Besides, the holidays were approaching, and I have a corporation to tend to. Let me see if I can make this short regarding the cards. I own an investment firm, I am not a scientist so I will relay a "bit" of the Exam report:

Description:

Type of object: Photographic baseball card
Support: Pulp board / photographic paper laminate
Fiber type mixed visual (exam under 5 Dioptre or 2 1/2 power @ 20cm)
Color Natural
Weight Heavy
Surface coated (emulsion)
method of manufacture machine made, wove
opacity opaque
grain direction unknown

Media offset process litho ink (verso)
silver gelatin emulsion (recto) visual exam under 5 Dioptre or 2 1/2 power @ 20cm and raking light.

Non-original attachements: (glue) Waterbased adhesive - vegetable gum (visual exam under 5 Dioptre or 2 1/2 power @ 20cm.
Paper remnants: Black

(I will skip alot of the Stough I don't understand)

Date or periodn.d. (ca.1950's? in question)

I will be at the Rosemount show in march, maybe I can meet up with some people, and I will bring this along, and share it. Besides i would love to meet people with some of the same interests I have. And maybe find some nuggets for sale.