View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Back Collecting

Posted By: Travis Anderson

Bought some rare back T206s (rare for me at least) from Lee Behrens the other day (Thanks Lee!!) and, after I received them, I decided to narrow my T206 collecting focus to see if I could get one of each back. However, I have a few questions.

I remember from one of the T206 collection completion threads (Ted's I think) where 32 variations were mentioned. The T206 Museum, however, lists 40.

-Is this something similar to shooting for the completion of the T206 set minus the big 3 or 4? In other words, are there really 40 variations but 8 of them are pretty much impossible to find?

-It looks like T206 Museum lists the Ty Cobb back as #3/40 (3rd in scarcity order)...I know there was some discussion a couple weeks earlier regarding whether or not the Cobb backs should even be classified as a T206, so I guess that one is open to opinion?

-The top 2 backs on the scarcity list are Old Mill (Southern League) Factory 649, District 1 Overprint and Double Overprint. Has anyone ever seen these? If so and these are considered the pinnacle of back scarcity, what is the upper range $$$-wise that I'm looking at if I intend to see this through to the end (i.e. #40 on list is Piedmont-Series350, Factory25, District2 --> couple of bucks will get you one of these...what will the top dogs cost?)?

-Anyone have any other advice regarding this type of T206 collecting?

Thanks in advance,
Travis