View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Default new idea for grading

Posted By: Larry

The most abhorrent part of grading is the lack of weighing the front against a blank back card...Old Judges are a perfect example...I have an old judge rare HOFer that SGC gave a 20 although it has image quality, corners and visual appeal of a 60...There was a pencil name on the back that was erased at one time and because of this it was downgraded..If SGC is to rise above PSA, they should set the trends and change their overly conservative approach to this..I have in my possession a card that is rare that has a small paper tear on back where there is print, the tear is not in the printing area and that card with a strong front got an SGC 50, where is the consistancy...?

Lastly, SGC has told me directly that tech grading differs from visual appeal, and that is why it receives the grades it does....If a card says SGC or PSA 2, no one will pay for a 6 if the card looks like a six but has a minor permanent rear imperfection...There I can say PSA is right , an ink mark on blank back can get a 5 mk, SGC would give it a 2....it should not...tech grading has merit but should be averaged into overall appeal, a card with an ex/mt front and a blank back with a tape stain or minor paper abrasion should not get an SGC 30/2 while a card with rounding and creases(yes rounding is a form of paper loss since it is rounded!) can get an SGC 40/3...SGC is the best holder, GAI does make allowances but somehow does not get the same $ as SGC is comparable grades... SGC should be the trend setters, not follow PSA's stupidity, especially since the owner himself is far above in knowledge, personality and direction than their main competition.