View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Default Old Joe Dimaggio Tattoo/Transfer

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I posted once before on cards from the 60s for which you have my sincere apologies (I had just discovered the board at the time, and did not realize it was off topic), and have been lurking ever since. This is an incredible source of information and I thank all of you who provide such valuable knowledge.
On that vein, I recently purchased an odd item I was hoping I could get some information about. It is a thin long piece of cardboard with 5 different tattos/transfers. One of the five is a depiction of a baseball player with the word DIMAGGIO in block letters along the bottom. There is also a football player (no name), Tarzan with tiger, a horseman and a pirate. I was told the pirate image resembles the late 1940s Leaf Pirate set. These are oversized, and are made of very thin tissue type paper. There are several of each, and all are held to the backing with a staple near the top of the tattoo/transfer.
The flea market dealer I purchased it from said she thought it might have been part of a send away premium in the late 1940s, but she did not remember a company. My guess is that it might be something sold in the store (with a more colorful backing probably), a kid could take one off from the stapled group for purchase. I was also told that the tattoos/transfers resembled the 1956 Davey Crocket transfer from Topps I believe (the year is correct, I might have an incorrect manufacturer).
I tried inserting the scan, but could not figure out how. I would gladly email someone the scan to hopefully post to this thread. Otherwise, my email address is aelefson@hotmail.com, and I can send it to anyone. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alan Elefson

I think I figured out how to post a scan.