View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Default Writing to ball players..........

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

In 1992 I was 14 years old and sending out cards to some of my favorite players at the time to get auto'd. I ran across a magazine that had the mailing address of some of the baseball greats. So I amailed out a couple of letter to payers like Hank Aaron, Willie Stagell, and some players that had passed away that I did not know about. When I wrote to Mr. Stargell I had the date on the letter along with my age. My view at the time was that if the player didn't return the card within a year then it was a lost cause.
When I was in college my mail was still being sent to my parents address and while I was home one day going thru the mail I saw the type of SASE that I used to send out for auto's. When I opened the mail it had the orginal letter that I had written to Mr. Stargell so many years ago. I was thrilled at getting his auto after so many years and suprised that the U.S post office would deliver it since the cost for a samp had gone up so much since then. After reading the letter that I had wrote to him I felt like such a dufus b/c it was slopy and hard to understand what I was saying.