View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Default Your first vintage card

Posted By: Donald Miller

Back in 1987 everyone I knew wanted a McGwire(R),Gooden(R)or Mattingly (R). I had my cards from the 50's and everyone was in awe of my numerous Mantles. If you talked about T206's in South Dakota in the late eighties, you were talking"zero". Noone cared. I was a faithful subscriber to SCD and one week decided I would order a card from the classifieds. The man had several T206's in lesser condition and I picked Tris Speaker because he was a Hall of Famer. The price was eight dollars including shipping. I was happy when I got it. I was not overly impressed but still happy. The same week some antique dealer friends of mine showed me a card they had found in an old dresser. It was a "Yum Yum" tobacco card of Pud Galvin. They wondered if I knew the value of it. I told them to call a well known buyer from an ad in SCD. I did not see them for a couple of weeks but when I did they thanked me for sending them in a profitable direction. They had sold the card for 200.00. At the time I did not kick myself but I certainly do now. I could have bought the Galvin but I saved 192.00 buying the Speaker which I have to this day. I have purchased thousands of cards over the years but to this day losing out on the Galvin still bothers me the most.

Don(in snowy) Dakota