Thread: T206 Rare Backs
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Rare Backs

Posted By: Anonymous

Ted,
Agreed that PSA should be more careful. I have a PSA 5 Magee (With Bat) in a Magie holder. The thing that I find most disturbing about this is that the PSA pop report shows that there is one PSA 5 Magie in the population when in reality there is not. That said, I think PSA (as well as SGC and GAI), despite occasional errors, do a tremendous service for our hobby. They weed out much of the fraud and also provide a uniform--albeit imperfect--grading system. This will stimulate long-term demand for our beloved vintage cards. [Let's remember that SGC is not infallible, either. I recall that they once graded a Matty Portrait Red Hindu (an impossible front/back combo) that was re-backed, as well as grading the infamous fraudulent Doyle N.Y. Nat'l that Olberman bought.]

John,
Agreed that the Kleinow (Boston) is only slightly more difficult than the Kleinow (N.Y. Catching). The larger number of Kleinow (Boston) seen on eBay is in part attributable to its higher book value. I think there are fewer Kleinow (N.Y. Catching), but the difference is not stark.

Scot