View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Default Most Valuable card to you

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Maybe Jim Manos will win it; maybe Nathan Montoya...it graded a 7 (unlike most of my cards!)

Edited to say: I DON'T think that card is near mint--look at the lower right-hand corner! Maybe he meant the "arms outrstretched" one, but I think the bottom two corners are a bit rounded:

The other two are out of the question....

Story (someone mentioned stories): I got this pose, (with Washington scratched out) because I was enchanted with Hoy's story: deaf mute, taught his teammates sign language, married a deaf teacher, lived to be 99, played in the first world series--was probably responsible for the umpires beginning to use hand signals on the diamond. Batted .288, was a centerfielder, and would call the other fielders off the ball by making "his noise."

1) that card I gave to a woman whose son was Hoy's great-grand nephew, and advvertised in the Baseball Hobby News that she wanted a Hoy card for him for his birthday. I didn't charge her, but she sent me a $5 check, which I still have (her last name is Hoy!)

2) I replaced the card fairly quickly, and three or four years later, became friends with a deaf guy in Ohio, who asked me for a xerox of the card. I put it in my purse, and was going to a xerox store--but somehow went to the Coluseum to pick up some baseball tickets first. There was no game that day, and I looked through the slats in the fence at the beautiful green field, all manecured...and I thought.."You're sending a deaf guy a XEROX of this card?" So I sent him card #2. Just put it in an envelope with some paper.

Both these people were very grateful.

I couldn't find another Hoy card for about 10 years, and was kicking myself for my generosity when I got the one above from Lew Lipset in an auction. I believe two other Hoy cards came from Lew, and one from Jay Miller. The Oshkosh cabinet I got on eBay.