View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Default Mastro Consignment Concern

Posted By: Jerry Ficchi

I’ve been a long-time reader of this board and truly enjoy and appreciate the plethora of information and opinion that comes from it. I have a dilemma and would value the judgment of fellow collectors.

I received my “Consignor Statement” today from Mastro and there are two problems with it. First, which is less of an issue, but still somewhat frustrating is that one of my two consignments has been pushed back to the February auction even though Mastro’s “Consignment Agreement” stated it would be in December. Without getting into what it is, other than being a $3,000 to $5,000 item, would you be upset with this bump?

The greater problem is with my second consignment which is slated to begin on Monday. The tile and description shortchanges the items in the lot by about 30%. Mastro said that they would amend the website, but obviously, the catalogs have already been printed. This particular lot could bring $15,000 to $25,000, but the current description would value it, perhaps, around $10,000. My primary question here is, when bidding with a major auction house, do you pay more attention to the catalog or the website? Additionally, do amendments on the website sway your decision on whether to bid on the lot or not? Lastly, if this happened to you, what would you do… leave it in Mastro’s hands and let them amend the website description or pull the lot from their auction all together?

Thank you for your help…

Jerry Ficchi