Thread: Spahn is gone
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Default Spahn is gone

Posted By: Steve K

<<< (Spahnie always liked to get paid). >>>

Roy - nothing whatsoever against you but I always hate comments such as this that are seen in articles and in books, especially about the old timers. These comments are made all the time about Dimaggio and others. I say "So What!" if they liked to get paid or made some money from their autographs, etc. Any one of us would do the exact same thing if we were in their shoes. I remember reading a sportwriter's comment one time about he and Dimaggio sat down for dinner and the sportswriter complained in the article quote, "that Dimaggio never picked up a check." The sportswriter of course didn't complain to Joe. Why should Dimaggio pickup a check for a stinkin' sportswriter who should have been honored that Dimaggio would have dinner with him and I'm sure the sportswriter most likely used the dinner as a way to glean information from Joe! (well - that's my vent for today - LOL)

Thanks for posting that about Warren Spahn - I had not yet heard it. Warren was a super class guy and he will be missed.