View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Default perhaps a little insight into the T206 Wagner genesis

Posted By: Scott Forrest

Hi Barry, the original question was about the t206 Wagner in general, not the "the infamous one" once owned by "the great one".

The "Plank next to Wagner" theory doesn't make much sense to me, but anything's possible.

Unless Wagner was on the edge of the sheet, there would be another rare card on his other side. But even if that were the case, it still doesn't seem probable to me - if Wagners were cut out and destroyed that would explain early Planks not being around, but I would expect that rather than cutting out Wagners every time they printed that sheet, they would instead replace the Wagner image with a different card and leave the Plank image alone, in which case there would still be plenty of Planks in existence.

Another thought (bear with me as this gets complicated), if the Wagner image were actually replaced rather than card cut out after production, then take a look at the "proof strip" and the cards to either side of Wagner. Are there any "2 card side to side" scraps of either of these cards with part of another card shown in Wagner's position?