View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Default AJ could play for John McGraw

Posted By: J Levine

Josh Paul is nearly completely at fault...in fact the umpire did the exactly correct thing (with one tiny exception). When a player strikes out and the ball touches the ground (the only part the ump got wrong after frame by frame replays) he is to signal the batter swung, which he did, and signal an out, which he did. He does not verbally call an out because he thought the ball touched the ground. The play goes down as strikeout/ E2. This was nothing more than a player using his brains and hoping for the best. Paul should have waited to toss the ball. In little leauge, I used to catch, and one of the first things I was taught was not to roll the ball out until the player had walked out of the baseline and the player was called out verbally (since my back was to the ump, you have to wait for the verbal call--even when a third strike is swinging).

I love guys like AJ, reminds me of Mickey Hatcher. Mickey was the slowest man in baseball and was rounding third one day when he saw he was going to be out at home by 15 steps. As he comes around third, he shouts "CUT, CUT"...the shortstop thinking he should cut the ball, does so, and mickey is safe...smart often overcomes physical talent.

Both these teams play smart. Good luck to them both.

Joshua