View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Default AJ could play for John McGraw

Posted By: john/z28jd

<<<<<As a former catcher I can tell you that you ALWAYS put the tag on the batter if you even think the ball was in the dirt on a strike 3 swing at a pitch unless first base is occupied with less than 2 outs. >>>

This further proves my point and coming from somonee who caught when major league distances were only 45 from the mound to home plate(sorry tbob,had to say that).Catchers always put the tag on the batter when they think the ball was in the dirt! Ive seen numerous times where the catcher tagged someone he didnt have to.I was rooting for the WSOX up until this call but the umpire blew it by making the call and not realizing when the whole Angels team continued to leave the field even after AJ was running to 1st, that maybe the ball was caught.Paul knew he caught it and the pitcher saw him catch it and no one has better views of what happened and if neither of them thought about a tag which ALWAYS happens when theres a chance the ball was in the dirt then its an obvious call hence the hand signal for a strike.

I blame the umpire 100% for blowing the original call,using the wrong hand signal,and lying afterwards about both things which in itself is unacceptable