View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Default Rookie debate Part 2......Cobb

Posted By: Scott Elkins

postcards and the Sporting Life Cabinet, I guess Cobb's Rookie would have to be either an E101 or T206 Green Portrait or Bat On Shoulder (as those were the two Cobbs issued in the 150 Series for T206). The Bat Off Shoulder and Red Portrait Cobbs did not come out until the 350 Series for T206.

For me, a card is a card. I have always considered the Dietsche Cobb from 1907 his Rookie.

Hal will probably not agree with me, but for vintage rookies, I feel that it is the first card (any form, as long as it is not a pin, button, etc.) that was issued of a particular player. Some of the issues, we still do not even know how they were distributed - W555 is a great example of that. Also, for vintage, there are several issues NOT distributed Nationally that are considered "regular" issue cards - just look at the Philly Caramels and Croft's issues that were issued in Philly. We all consider them regular issue cards and not some regional Wilson Franks type don't we?

For Cobb, my answer is simply - go with the 1907 Dietsche Postards (Batting or Fielding) - afterall, they have the date of 1907 printed on the reverse, so you can't go wrong!