View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey - when was it printed?

Posted By: Gerry

Not that this is of vital importance in the history of baseball cards, but just to set the record straight...

Let me elaborate on the wrappers. There are seven different 1933 Goudey wrappers (not five, and not eight as I once thought). All but one of the wrappers offer collectors the opportunity to send in a group of wrappers to get a premium picture which the hobby later labeled R309-1.

Three of the wrappers offer all four of the R309-1 pictures, including the one that pictures the 1933 WORLD SERIERS CHAMPIONS. Two of those wrappers also say that the expiration date on the offer is NOVEMBER 1, 1933.

Now, if the R309-1 premium picture of the 1933 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS was available before in October, it is fair to assume that the cards included in the 10th sheet of cards was also available in October. Of course, they were probably also available in November and December.

There is no reason to believe that Goudey could not immediately produce and distribute the cards after the World Series ended. I suspect that the cards of the players and their pictures were already in place, and that the text was edited slightly to reflect World Series performance.