View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Default I'm glad I'm a vintage collector-Interesting article about hobby

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

When I was a kid I collected for 1987 to 1992. By 1991 I started getting discouraged by how many different subsets that companies put out where I finally gave up about halfway though 1992. Looking at the price guide now, what I felt like was to much excess in the early 90's seems as though it has increased 10 fold today in regards to how many different cards are produced today.

I am actually glad that some of the companies have gone out of business b/c the hobby is so cluttered that anyone who might want to begin collecting basball cards could immediatly be turn off by the excess that is produced today. The the amount of autographs and game used material that companies put out today has complety turn me off from collecting modern day cards and began my focus in vintage cards about 4 months ago.

What I would like to see in the industry to try and get kids intrested in the hobby again is for a company to produce 1 set with 3 tiers of cards. The first tier mass produced with a limit of rc's numbered at 50,000 for each card so that it is easily attainable to kids to complete the set and cheap enough for kids to actually buy a pack. The 2nd tier would have rc's numbered to 25,000 and the the last tier numbered to 1,000 for the more advanced collector. Instead of game used cards and auto's why not have redemption cards for the actual jersey/bat or and autographed picture or ball. While I do not believe that a company is spending $250,000 for a bat and then actually cutting up that bat to put on a card. I feel that collectors would enjoy the piece more if it is given to one person as a whole that way the history of the game is preserved better and the items are cherished more.

I'll get off my soapbox now.